Roasted sweet potato cubes are a healthy, easy, and quick side dish recipe to cook up for dinner tonight! This oven-baked potatoes recipe makes perfectly crispy cubes every time and is a gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and Whole30 side dish.
Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes Recipe
When my husband and I were first dating I remember him making the most wonderful “concoction” dinner ever… including INCREDIBLE roasted sweet potato cubes!
A few years ago I was the type who would look at a recipe and then write every single ingredient on my shopping list so I was sure to have it on hand when it was time to cook.
Cohl, however, taught me that it is OK to tweak a recipe a bit, or not follow one at all!
Our dinner together was kind of a last minute decision so he didn’t exactly have time to prepare. Once he found what he was looking for he moved effortlessly throughout the kitchen.
He started chopping up a bunch of bell peppers, onions, and sweet potatoes. I was so curious to know how to make baked potato cubes so I pulled up a seat to observe!
Falling in Love
He began to add bell peppers and onions to a wonderfully seasoned spaghetti sauce.
The potatoes were transforming into the best-tasting baked potato cubes I had ever eaten.
For months upon months I tried to re-create the perfect crispness and flavor of those roasted sweet potatoes, but I was unsuccessful every time.
Maybe it was the rose-colored glasses of newfound love that made them taste so perfectly sweet.
The Secret Tip to their Crisp
With each attempt to crack the code I inched closer and closer to the answers.
And then one evening I decided to chop the potatoes into smaller cubes.
I also realized I could never get the amount of olive oil evenly distributed over the potatoes so I decided to toss them in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. It did the trick!
Although the baked sweet potato cubes will never be as good as those at the first meal I had with my future husband, this easy recipe sure does come pretty close and is the way I make them on a weekly basis at our house!
How to Make
As I mentioned previously, there are a few things you want to pay attention to when making this recipe:
- The size of the cubes is the trick. If you want them a bit crispier, cut them a little smaller. For softer sweet potato cubes, cut them a bit bigger!
- Measure out your olive oil when making this recipe. Too much oil will make them extremely soggy!
- Use parchment paper for the best way to cook this roasted vegetable with very little clean-up!
- Lay your sweet potato cubes in a single layer. Do not overlap them or they will get mushy!
If you have any leftovers, they will keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
You can also freeze them by placing in either a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or container. Freeze for up to 4-6 months.
Reheating this quick side dish can be accomplished by either popping them in the microwave (they’ll lose their crispiness!), tossing them on a baking sheet in the oven, or warming them up in a skillet with a bit of oil.
What to Make
I make this quick recipe on a weekly basis so we have A LOT of different ways we like to enjoy them:
- Wrap them up in a corn tortilla to make these Sweet Potato + Black Bean Tacos
- Toss them in a bowl full of other vegetables + quinoa like in this Sweet Potato Broccoli Quinoa Bowl
- As a side dish to this incredible Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Serve them up in a salad with roasted beets.
Other Easy Potato Recipes:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- More Healthy Side Dish Recipes
Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes
Roasted sweet potato cubes are a quick, easy, and healthy way to make sweet potatoes in the oven! This roasted sweet potatoes recipe makes perfectly crispy cubes every time and is a gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and Whole30 side dish.
- 1 ¾ lbs. sweet potatoes peeled, cut into ½-¾ inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper to taste
- Parsley or cilantro optional
- See this recipe in Healthy Meal Plan #1
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine sweet potato cubes, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Toss to combine.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread sweet potato cubes out in a single layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Serve sweet potato cubes with additional salt and pepper, parsley or cilantro and enjoy!