This Southern Potato Salad recipe is so easy to make by starting with Instant Pot potatoes! You can make this easy potato salad the night before and have it ready to go for your July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day or backyard BBQ party.
Southern Potato Salad, Backyard BBQs, and July 4th!
Summer is officially in full swing and so are all things outdoorsy and BBQ related.
What are your plans for July 4th? Are you grilling out by the pool, going on a vacation, or taking it easy?
Whatever your plans are for this upcoming holiday, you might want to add this easy potato salad recipe to your menu.
After all, there isn’t anything more patriotic than potato salad!… Amiright?!
What are the Best Potatoes for Potato Salad?
After doing a bit of research, it was unanimously decided that “waxy” potatoes are the best potatoes to use when making potato salad.
Waxy potatoes, unlike starchy potatoes, are lower in starch and higher in sugar. This makes for a firm potato salad recipe that holds its shape.
Additionally, waxy potatoes have a thinner skin and are great for roasting.
So what potatoes are considered “waxy” potatoes? Red potatoes, new potatoes, and Yukon gold potatoes are “waxy” and work great in this Southern potato salad recipe.
Try to steer clear of russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes which will give you a mushy mess!
Instant Pot Potatoes = an Easy Potato Salad Recipe
If you don’t have one already, you should totally get yourself an Instant Pot!!
Pressure cooking your potatoes makes this Southern potato salad recipe so easy for a few reasons:
- No need to bring a humongous pot of water to a boil.
- A timer that will remind you when the potatoes are done cooking.
- No guesswork on knowing what a “rolling boil” is.
- Perfectly cooked Instant Pot potatoes every single time!
If you do not want to make Instant Pot potatoes, simply bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil your potatoes for about 15 minutes. Proceed with the instructions from there.
How to Make Southern Potato Salad?
Ok, you’ve got your potatoes picked out, cooked them in your Instant Pot… now how do you make potato salad?
Literally, you whip up the mayonnaise-mustard sauce, mash your potatoes, and mix it all together. Voila!
What Ingredients are in a Southern Potato Salad?
The ingredients that make up this potato salad recipe include:
- Yukon Gold Potatoes – they give it a beautiful color and the perfect texture!
- Mustard – I personally prefer a country Dijon + yellow mustard combo, but go with what you like.
- Mayonnaise – This makes up the bulk of the sauce. If you are vegan, feel free to use a vegan mayo. Prefer Miracle Whip? You can try that out, too.
- Relish – I have used both sweet relish and dill relish. Both taste incredible! The sweet relish will make the potato salad a bit sweet (duh!) while the dill relish will give it more of a pickle taste. You can also use regular pickles that are finely diced, too.
- Honey – gives it a bit of sweetness.
- Celery + Onion – gives the potato salad that classic Southern flavor.
For this particular recipe I left out the hard-boiled eggs and bacon which can sometimes be found in a Southern Potato salad. If you want either of those, feel free to add them!
Easy Instant Pot Southern Potato Salad
This Southern Potato Salad recipe is so easy to make by starting with Instant Pot potatoes! You can make this easy potato salad the night before and have it ready to go for your July 4th, Labor Day, or backyard BBQ party.
- 2 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup mayonnaise can use vegan mayo
- 3 Tbsp. mustard*
- 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup dill relish
- 1 tsp. salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ cup celery finely chopped
- ¾ cup sweet onion finely chopped
- Close the Instant Pot with the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is set to sealed. Press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button. Set the pressure to high and the timer to 6 minutes. When done cooking and timer goes off, release the pressure valve immediately and remove potatoes from the Instant Pot. Let cool to room temperature.
- While potatoes are cooling, combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, honey, relish, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Once potatoes have cooled to room temperature, mash with a potato masher until they are to your desired potato salad consistency.
- Add sauce, celery, and onions to potatoes and mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish potato salad with additional relish and a sprinkle of paprika. Enjoy!
*I used 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard and 2 Tablespoons country Dijon mustard for a bit of a kick. However, feel free to use all yellow mustard if you like a more traditional potato salad.