Even on those crazy-busy weeknights, you can have a healthy dinner ready in under 30 minutes with this one-pot honey BBQ chicken and sweet potatoes recipe!
Recently, the events of Hurrican Harvey have been filling the news. The mass destruction that it caused spanned the majority of the Texas Gulf Coast. For those of you that are not familiar… that is freaking HUGE!!
Homes were flooded from Corpus Christi to my husband’s hometown of Katy on the west side of Houston and then all the way to my hometown of Orange, Texas (140 miles east of Katy).
Even those individuals fortunate enough not to have feet of water flooding their homes will forever remember the fear that built up for days once Harvey made landfall on August 25, 2017.
The events of the past two weeks have taught me many lessons. One of the most important lessons has been to just do something.
As I have heard stories about the heroes and heroines that have been actively working to rescue, provide for, and care for all of the displaced individuals, my heart cannot help but swell up with happiness. They are out there doing, and doing, and doing.
Even if you are 1000 miles away from those affected by Hurrican Harvey, there is always a need for someone out there that needs to be met.
Are you a good cook? Why not whip up this one-pot honey BBQ chicken and bring it to the neighbor who was just diagnosed with cancer.
Do you not mind doing laundry? Offer to do a few loads for the mother who just had twins.
Are you running to the store? Pick up a few items you know your friend needs and leave it on their doorstep.
Just do something.
I would love to hear if you do something for someone in need… Comment below or tag @evolvingtable with #dosomething on Instagram!
And this one-pot honey BBQ chicken you’ve been staring at for three pictures now… It’s pretty ah-mazing. And oh-so-simple to prepare.
Loaded with good-for-you veggies… check!
Full of flavor in every bite… check!
How Can You Evolve this One-Pot Honey BBQ Chicken & Sweet Potatoes?
- Buy the organic chicken. So much of the regular meat in grocery stores are loaded with antibiotics and growth hormones… splurge on buying organic meat!
- Use extra virgin olive oil. It is loaded with good-for-you phenolic antioxidants!
- Make it Whole 30. Use a Whole 30 recipe for BBQ sauce and leave out the honey.
One-Pot Honey BBQ Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Combine BBQ sauce, honey, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour BBQ sauce mixture over cubed chicken in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large skillet or pot over medium heat add 3 tablespoons olive oil, sweet potatoes, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Saute for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Push sweet potatoes to the side of the skillet. Add last tablespoon of olive oil and garlic cloves. Saute for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add marinated chicken and sauce to the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lastly, add broccoli on top of the chicken and sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to Low. Simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with chopped green onions or cilantro and enjoy!
*Use a Whole 30 approved BBQ sauce and leave out the honey for Whole 30.