A kid-friendly, gluten free, broccoli tater tot recipe that makes a great side dish or appetizer!
Is it weird that broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables? I could quite possibly eat it every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. When I was younger I remember my parents steaming up some broccoli and then serving melted Velveeta cheese for us picky-eaters to douse it in. I guess their trickery worked considering I now voluntarily eat broccoli WITHOUT Velveeta cheese (man am I a grown up now!)
Wanting to make a variation of the classic “broccoli & cheese” I decided on creating a fun finger food. Even though I was only making these for my hubby and I to eat for dinner, the urge to eat broccoli tots with my hands was overwhelming. After seeing how easy these were to prepare and how delicious the three cheese combo made the tots, I will most likely be bringing out this recipe again for our next party. These tots make a great party food since you can do all of the prep work ahead of time and simply refrigerate them until you are ready to bake. And when you pull these tasty, gluten free, piping hot, slightly healthy, kid-friendly tots out of the oven… you just might be the party superhero of the year! Hope you enjoy!
Tap stars to rate!
- 1 large head of broccoli about 2 ¼ c. broccoli
- ¼ c. onion finely diced
- 2 eggs whisked
- ½ c. Monterrey Jack & Cheddar cheese combo
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- ¾ c. breadcrumbs gluten free
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- ¼ t. paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Immerse the head of broccoli into the boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and cool down broccoli by placing in an ice bath. Dry broccoli thoroughly by blotting with a towel or paper towel.
- Once broccoli has cooled, chop broccoli finely until you have 2 ¼ c.
- Place broccoli in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients to the bowl. Mix thoroughly until completely combined.
- Roll 1 ½-2 tablespoon-sized balls of the mixture into a ball and then form into a tot shape. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture and space evenly on pan.
- Bake tots for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until tots are golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup and enjoy!
Tap stars to rate!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.