Skillet Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes are a super quick and easy side dish to serve with chicken, steak, turkey, or pork! This healthy recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, Paleo, and makes a great weeknight, Christmas, or Thanksgiving vegetable side dish, too!
Baked, sautéed, and roasted Brussels sprouts make great side dishes for weeknight dinners or holiday occasions. A few other Brussels sprouts recipes you might like include these Crispy Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Browned Butter Brussels Sprouts, and these Sautéed Shredded Brussels Sprouts.
Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes for Fall
Nothing says Fall more than Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes!!… Especially when they are made together in ONE skillet!
Not only do the flavors of these two vegetables evoke a sense of cooler weather, sweaters, and cozy food, but the colors actually remind me of a tree with its leaves changing colors.
Do you see it, too?
The bright green and yellow of the Brussel sprouts mixed with the vibrant orange from the sweet potatoes looks like a tree just dropped all of its leaves into a bowl. (And then they magically became edible, of course!)
One of the Best Easy Vegetable Side Dishes
While there have been many sweet potato recipes on the site (like these Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos and these BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes) and even more Brussel sprout recipes (Crispy Bacon Brussel Sprouts and Thai-Style Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad), I have never actually COMBINED the two vegetables.
… until now!
Ladies and gents, let me introduce to you the
side dish recipe for Skillet Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes!
(Those caps were for emphasis… I promise I wasn’t yelling, I just got a little excited!)
Health Benefits of Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Why would anyone get so excited about Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes that are made in a skillet?
Well, to put it simply, there are FOUR different vegetables in this recipe that are cooked together in ONE skillet.
What vegetables go into making this Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes recipe and what are their health benefits?
- Brussel Sprouts – high in fiber, Vitamin K, and rich in antioxidants.
- Sweet Potatoes – high in fiber, multiple B vitamins, Vitamin C, and rich in beta-carotene.
- Onion – rich in antioxidants and has antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Bell pepper – full of Vitamin C and carotenoids for improved eye health.
Not only do all of those vegetables go into this healthy side dish recipe, but these nutritional powerhouse ingredients are also included:
- Garlic – has the potential to help lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – helps lower cholesterol and improves heart health.
- Sage – helps with digestive issues, depression, memory loss, and Alzheimer’s.
Also, Yellowbird’s Blue Agave Sriracha Sauce has become our new go-to in our house! It’s packed with flavor and no fake filler ingredients are used!
If you are on a strict Paleo or refined sugar-free diet, make sure you use regular hot sauce or garlic chili paste to avoid the sugar!
Prep Ahead + Kitchen Equipment
Not only is this recipe full of nutrition, but it is actually super simple to throw together.
The part that will take you the longest is prepping the sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts.
If you like to meal prep, simply chop all of your vegetables on prep day and have them ready-to-go on the weeknight!
If you only have one skillet or the other, go ahead and use it! This recipe will still turn out great.
Recipes to go with Brussels Sprouts & Sweet Potatoes
These skillet Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes taste incredible on their own or as an easy side dish.
Here are a few ways you might enjoy this healthy vegetable side dish recipe:
- Wrapped up in a cassava flour tortilla to make a Paleo vegan taco.
- Alongside these Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts or these Sun-dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
- Loaded into a quinoa bowl or over cauliflower rice.
Tap stars to rate!
Skillet Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- ½ sweet onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound Brussel sprouts ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. sriracha sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground sage
- Parsley optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions begin to become slightly translucent.
- Add additional olive oil and sweet potatoes. Sauté for 6-8 minutes.
- Add Brussel sprouts and cook for 3-4 minutes covered, or until Brussel sprouts are almost tender.
- While vegetables are cooking whisk together garlic, syrup, vinegar, sriracha sauce, salt, and ground sage in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add sauce to skillet, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen up any bits. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until potatoes and sprouts are completely cooked.
- Serve as a side dish with a sprinkle or parsley or in a cassava flour tortilla for a vegan and Paleo taco and enjoy!
Tap stars to rate!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Want more recipes like these Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes?
Orange & Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Browned Butter Brussels Sprouts