Easy skillet sweet potatoes make a quick side dish for any meal! This simple sweet potato recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, paleo and vegan.
Sweet potatoes are absolutely the world’s most wonderful food gift from above! Is anyone else out there as obsessed with them as I am?!
Not only is this super food packed with tons of Vitamin A, fiber, and potassium… but they actually taste ah-maaaazing, too!
As you can see in the skillet sweet potatoes recipe below, there are not too many ingredients. All you will need are some sweet potatoes, onion, oil, seasonings, cilantro and green onions.
These easy skillet sweet potatoes still taste pretty good without the green onions and cilantro, but can I tell you something?! Don’t skip on these key ingredients!! (Unless you are part of the 10% of the population that thinks cilantro tastes like soap. I will give you a free pass here.)
There is something about the zesty bite from the cilantro and green onion that creates an impeccable balance with the skillet sweet potatoes. Ultimate match made in heaven.
Some Kitchen Items you will need for these Easy Skillet Sweet Potatoes:
You might have noticed that potatoes, rice, and other starchy foods tend to stick relentlessly to stainless steel pots/pans. After many hours of soaking, it still seems impossible to clean them completely.
This past Christmas I was lucky enough to get my first ceramic-coated skillet. We use it ALL OF THE TIME now! No sticky mess to clean up and no bad-for-you Teflon coating. It’s a win-win!
- Bialetti Ceramic Skillet – makes these skillet sweet potatoes perfectly crisp and you have a super easy clean-up!
- Garlic press – no need to peel and make a mess with your garlic anymore!
- Potato Peeler – super sturdy potato peeler to make cubing these skillet sweet potatoes a breeze!
*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If clicked on and an item is purchased I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.*
Easy Skillet Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro
- 4 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 5 c sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ - inch cubes
- 1 c sweet onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓ c cilantro finely chopped
- ¼ c green onions finely chopped
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining olive oil and onions. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover skillet with a lid. Cook for five minutes.
- Remove lid and add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, increase heat back to medium and cook for 4-6 minutes more.
- *If you would like your sweet potatoes to be slightly crispy you can increase your heat to medium-high during the last two minutes of cooking. Be sure to keep an eye on the sweet potatoes so they do not burn!*
Just before serving sprinkle skillet sweet potatoes with cilantro, green onions and additional salt/pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Want more recipes like these Easy Skillet Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro?